- Base: Royal Surrey County Hospital
- Service Manager Lead: Anthony Gartland
About the service
The Alcohol Care Team provide support to patients presenting with alcohol related problems.
The service includes:
- One-to-one support of patients and families.
- Access all areas - Will see patients who are admitted to hospital, patients who attend the Emergency Department, and outpatients.
- Screening, assessment and daily reviews of referred patients.
- Referral to community support pathways.
- Liaison with community partners including homeless services, housing providers, police, probation, drug and alcohol services locally and country wide and voluntary services.
- Peer support if appropriate.
- Outpatient clinics (via internal referral pathway) on a Monday morning and Friday afternoon (1 hour sessions).
- Teaching and training to staff, patients and relatives.
Pre and post liver transplant support clinic.
Contact our service
Bleep: 71-4220, 71-8048, 71-0050
Meet the team
Anthony Gartland, Lead Nurse- Alcohol Care Team
Anthony started nursing in Cambridge in 1993 as a Healthcare Assistant. He then completed his nurse training at Homerton College, Cambridge, and qualified in 1999 as a Mental Health Nurse. Anthony has worked in all areas of mental health including forensic, acute, children and community.
He specialised in addictions in 2006, and managed a drug/alcohol detox and rehabilitation up until 2014. He then came to the Royal Surrey County Hospital to set up the Alcohol Liaison Team.
Sian Davies, Senior Alcohol Liaison Nurse
Sian has worked within the Alcohol Care team since 2015. Her background is in Adult Nursing and she gained a BSc Hons from Oxford Brookes University in 2001. The majority of her career has been spent rotating within the field of Gastroenterology – medicine, surgical and research.
Sandra Hobbs, Alcohol Liaison Nurse
Sandra joined the Alcohol Care Team in 2018. Her background is as an Adult General Nurse, working at the Royal Surrey since 2009 in both medicine and surgery. She is also a qualified counsellor, with experience of working in addictions and mental health.