Medical and Surgical Wards

All patients admitted to the Medical and Surgical wards are screened on a daily basis, in regards to occupational therapy need.

We provide a person centred, responsive service focusing on the individual’s needs.

We identify the potential for rehabilitation at home, inpatient rehabilitation, short and/or long term care requirements to assist in returning home.


What wards do you cover?


Millbridge Ward – Level D Gastroenterology

Merrow Ward and CCU – Level E Cardiac

Albury Ward – Level E Respiratory

Frensham Ward – Level D Gastroenterology

Clandon Ward – Level C ENT

Compton Ward – Level C Urology, Gynaecology

What hours do you cover?


7 days a week, 8am – 4pm.

How do I contact you?


Please ring the Occupational Therapy department on 01483 571 122, Ext 4766, or via the individual ward.

Why may I need to see an Occupational Therapist?

If you have been finding it difficult to carry out everyday tasks prior to your admission into hospital or as a result of your illness or injury we can assess you on the ward to identify whether you would benefit from any assistive equipment, support at home with carers or further rehabilitation to enhance you quality of life and promote your independence.


What assessments might the Occupational Therapist carry out and why?


Each person is individual, but if you are seen by a member of the Occupational Therapy team, they will endeavour to find out what the problem/s may be by asking about how things had been prior to your admission, and how they are now.

You may be asked to mobilise and be observed getting on/off various pieces of furniture. Dependent on your reason for admission and potential difficulties surrounding your discharge, you may have an assessment of your home environment and have recommendations made for pieces of equipment to assist you.

Will I see an Occupational Therapist when I am on the ward?


If it is identified by any member of the team looking after you whilst you are on the ward that you may benefit from being seen by an occupational therapist, we will be asked to see you on the ward, or if you or your family feel that this may be beneficial, then just ask one of the staff on the ward to refer to us, or contact on the number above.

What happens following my assessment?


The Occupational Therapist will discuss with you the findings of their assessment and ensure that you are in agreement with any recommendations before they are actioned.

Any known timelines for the completion of these will be discussed with you as they are known.

How can I help speed up my own discharge?


Please ensure that the ward/Occupational Therapist has been given accurate phone numbers for any one that they are required to contact in the process of your assessments, this is likely to include your next of kin and/or significant other person who has access to your property/knowledge of yourself.

What if I need an Occupational Therapist when I get home?


If the Occupational Therapist on the ward has thought that you may require follow up from the hospital, then you would have been referred to our outreach team, who will contact you when you have been discharged.

If not, or if your circumstances have changed after your discharge, then you will need to contact your local community therapy services via your own GP to request a referral.

What if I have already seen an Occupational Therapist in the community?


Let the Occupational Therapist on the ward know and give them their contact details.

This will help to ensure less duplication of work being completed and allow us to update your community therapist on anything that we have done for you here.

Where can I find out further information about Occupational Therapy?


For further information about Occupational Therapy please visit: