The Jasmine Team
At The Royal Surrey, we have a dedicated mental health team of midwives and specialist support workers.
They support women with mental health illness during pregnancy and the initial postnatal period. The team includes three specialist perinatal mental health midwives, and a specialist support worker who can be part of your care team.
Your midwife will refer you to the Jasmine team if she has any concerns with your mental wellbeing during pregnancy. This may be because you have a pre-existing mental health illness, or where you have become mentally unwell during the course of you pregnancy or after birth.
The Jasmine team can support you in lots of different ways depending on your needs. If necessary, they can:
- Refer you onto other local services like the perinatal mental health team (Perinatal Mental Health Service Leaflet July 2022.pdf [pdf] 265KB) or the AFLoaT service which supports families through trauma/loss ( AFLoaT Service Leaflet.pdf [pdf] 2MB).
- Recommend talking therapies and guide you on how to self refer (link to self refer)
- Liaise with the multi disciplinary team to ensure you are getting the right level of care and support (Obstetricians, Midwives, GP’s, psychiatrists etc).
- Recommend additional support services like Fear Release (Fear Release Leaflet.pdf [pdf] 7MB) or Birth Reflections (link 9).
- Attend appointments at the hospital with you if you need extra support.
- Help you write your birth plan or wellbeing plan.
- Make phone calls to you during pregnancy, and in the immediate postnatal period, to check in with you.
If you feel you would benefit from being under the Jasmine Team, please speak to your midwife who can put in a referral in to the Jasmine Team.
There are also lots of useful apps and websites that you can access to also help support your mental health and wellbeing (link to Useful apps and webistes).
If you feel that you or your partner are in a mental health crisis, you can call 999, or attend your local A and E. Below are some Important numbers you can call to access urgent support:
- Call a Midwife Advice Line for Pregnancy and up to 28 days after birth (24 hours a day, 365 days a year): 0300 123 5473
- Surrey Crisis Line (24 hours a day, 365 days a year): 0800 9154644
- Samaritans Helpline (24 hours a day, 365 days a year): 116 123
- Mental Health Triage Service (24 hours a day, 365 days a year): 111
- SHOUT text service (24 hours a day, 365 days a year): 85258
- SAFE Haven (6pm -11pm) – search online for your nearest branch.