The RSCH provides a comprehensive oxygen service including:
- Long-term oxygen therapy assessment
- Ambulatory oxygen assessment
- Hypoxic challenge tests for patients requiring consent for oxygen for air travel
The team is led by the respiratory consultants and includes specialist nurses, physiotherapists and support staff.
Patients who may benefit from oxygen assessment:
- Stable chronic lung disease with SpO2 < 92% at rest.
- Those who desaturate on exercise.
What we offer
- Full outpatient or home assessment and follow up 6 monthly.
- Follow up home visit following installation of oxygen.
- Patients who have non-invasive ventilation and oxygen will have joint appointments whenever possible.
Please telephone for urgent referrals.
Please call us if you would like to discuss any referral on the number below.
Royal Surrey County Hospital
Tel: 01483 571122 Ext. 2662 / 4677
Fax: 01483 408398
Indications for referral:
- Patients with chronic hypoxaemia with the following conditions: COPD, severe chronic asthma, pulmonary fibrosis, bronchiectasis, pulmonary vascular disease, primary pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary malignancy and chronic heart failure.
- Persistant low PO2 <7.3kpa at rest and clinically stable.
- Persistant low PO2 <8kpa in presence of secondary polycythemia, pulmonary hypertension or chronic heart failure.
- Desaturation on exertion to below 90% (and by >4%).
- Persistently low resting oxygen saturations (<92%) when clincially stable.
Unfortunately we cannot offer home oxygen to people who are currently smoking.