Comments, Complaints & Compliments


We welcome and value your feedback on our services as we recognise that this helps us to identify those aspects of our service where we can improve.

For full details on our complaints procedure please see below. To access our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) please click here.

Alternatively, you can contact our complaints team by emailing your complaint to or writing to the Chief Executive, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX.


We try to provide excellent healthcare and we need your feedback on our sevices so that we may improve them.

If you have had a good experience while a patient at our hospital then we would love to hear from you. Your feedback is very valuable information and we are grateful for you taking the time.

Positive feedback is welcomed and helps us to understand what is important for you as a patient, carer, relative or as a visitor.

Please share any compliments on our NHS Choices page  and we will ensure your views are shared with our staff or your compliments can be sent directly to the appropriate Ward Manager.

Even better, you can also nominate a staff member or a team for a PATIENTS’ CHOICE AWARD as part of our Staff Recognition Awards! Please email for more details on this.


We work hard to provide a high standard of care and treatment and are committed to always putting our patients first. However, unfortunately sometimes things do not go as planned or are not to your expectations. If this happens we will do everything we can to ensure the same thing doesn’t happen again.


What should I do if I have concerns about my care or your services?

If you have a concern about your care, the care of a relative or about any aspect of our services, in the first instance you should discuss your concerns with the Nurse or Doctor looking after you or your relative, or, Ward Sister or Matron.

If you would like to speak to a member of the Doctors team including the Consultant, you can ask a member of the Nursing Staff or Reception Staff to arrange an appointment for you. Some wards have relative’s clinics to facilitate communication with the Doctors caring for you or your relative.

If you are unable to resolve your concerns by talking to a member of staff, you may wish to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), which provides support and advice to patients, their families and friends.

If you are still not satisfied and the problem still remains unresolved you can make a formal complaint.


What should I do if I want to make a written (formal) complaint?

If you wish to make a formal complaint you can do so by:

  • writing to the Chief Executive at the following address: The Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX
  • emailing your complaint to


What happens next?

  • We will acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days of receipt, and provide you with a personal contact in our complaints team.
  • We will provide you with an indication of the timescales within which we will reply.
  • We will treat your correspondence in confidence, if the complainant is not the patient, we will seek the authority of the patient to disclose their medical information to a third party.
  • We will ask for reports from the staff involved to help us investigate your concerns.
  • We will provide a written response as soon as our investigation is complete and wherever possible within the agreed timescales.
  • If we are unable to meet these timescales we will write to you to explain why and when we expect to provide you with your response.
  • We hope our reply will answer your concerns in full. However if you remain dissatisfied with our reply, we would encourage you to contact us again, as we are keen to provide a mutually satisfactory conclusion.

Please be assured your care will not be affected as a result of making a complaint

  • We will take your complaint seriously, fully investigate your concerns and advise you of our findings as soon as possible.
  • Our response will be objective, open, honest, address all the concerns raised and we will explain any clinical terminology. It will include an explanation of what happened and why.
  • Our response will advise you of what actions we have taken to improve our service as a result of your experience and include an appropriate apology.
  • For more information, click here


If you require any independent advice or guidance when making your complaint we suggest that you contact:

Surrey Independent Living Council
Telephone- 01483 310500
Surrey Independent Living Council
Coniers Way
Text- 07704 265377

Further details can be found on their website-

What can I do if I am not satisfied with the outcome of my complaint?
If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, in the first instance please contact our Complaints Lead on 01483 464831 to discuss why you are not satisfied. If there is nothing further that we can do to resolve your complaint, you may seek an independent review of the care provided from the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman at:
Tel: 0345 015 4033
Address: Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1 4QP

You can access our Complaints and Concerns Resolution Policy via this link

©2019 Royal Surrey County Hospital

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?