Question 1: What is the total number of critical care beds (Level 2 and Level 3) per 100,000 of the population your trust serves? Please note the Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is unable to answer the questions directly because Critical Care activity is not analysed in the methodology described, e.g. we do not look at Critical Care as per the population. Therefore have provided answers in relation to the Critical Care service provided:
1. If you cover both secondary and tertiary care, please provide your TOTAL bed:population ratio for the whole trust, AND a figure for both types of service
The Trust has 14 level 3 beds or equivalent. This includes tertiary referral for specialist services at the Royal Surrey. We do not calculate bed availability or usage based on per populous or tertiary need.
2. How many critically ill patients were transferred from your hospital to another hospital’s critical care unit for non-clinical reasons in 2016-17? Zero.
3. How many days in 2016-17 was the occupancy of your critical care beds over 85% at least one point during those 24 hours?
The Trust does not record a daily occupancy of less than 85%. Because we are a flexible unit our occupancy is viewed in level 3 or level 2 care. However the overall occupancy was 122%
4. How many patients had an elective operation cancelled due to lack of a critical care bed capacity in 2016-17?
Less than 5 patients had an elective operation cancelled due to lack of critical care bed capacity in 2016/17.
5. How many days in 2016-17 was at least one critical care bed closed due to lack of staff for at least part of the day? Zero.