Patient Advice and Liaison Service

Alcohol Liaison Nurse, Anthony Gartland smiling at the camera

Frequently Asked Questions

My enquiry is about my GP. Can Royal Surrey County Hospital PALS team help me?

Unfortunately not, you will need to contact the Practice Manager at your Surgery or contact your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) for your area. 

How can I access my medical records?

Data Protection legislation allows you to find out what information is held about you on computer and in manual records. This is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR).

If you would like a copy of your healthcare records you can submit a request in writing or by email to the details below:

Healthcare Records Manager
Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust
Egerton Road


To find out more information and the application form to download health records, please look on the Medical Records page.

Can I complain anonymously?

Yes. However, if you are expecting to receive a response we will be unable to do this without your contact details. Please be aware that all of our enquiries and complaints are treated confidentially.

I would like to compliment a team/individual for the service I have received. Can I do this through PALS?

Yes, please contact us to provide positive feedback and we will pass your comments on.

Can I change consultant or get a second opinion?

This is possible. You may wish to discuss this with or write to your current consultant. Alternatively, your GP may assist with the request if you talk to him or her. For further information or assistance please contact our PALS team.


I am not happy with aspects of my treatment. What can I do?

It’s important to make your doctor or clinical team aware of any concerns you have about your treatment. PALS is unable to advise on clinical matters but can liaise with clinicians on your behalf. For further information or assistance please contact our PALS team.

What's the difference between PALS and the complaints procedure?

PALS don’t investigate but focus on resolving issues, as well as dealing with questions, suggestions and concerns.

A formal complaint will be investigated following the NHS Complaints procedure. You will receive a full response to your complaint that should address all the points that you have raised.

Will my care be affected by contacting PALS or Formal Complaints?

The care you receive will not be adversely affected by speaking to PALS or raising a formal complaint.

Can I ask for information about the care and treatment of my relative?

The PALS team have a duty of confidentiality to our patients. This means that we will not share information about a patient without their permission to do so. This does not mean that we will not look into the concerns of relatives or friends about a patient’s care and treatment, but it does mean that we will not always be able to share the full results of your enquiry.