Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Specialist Nurse Service
The MS Specialist Nurse is part of the wider community nursing service in Guildford and Waverley who work with patients, carers, GP’s, practice nurses, other specialist nurses and consultants to reduce mortality and improve the quality of life for patients with a diagnosis of MS. The service aims to optimise health and wellbeing for individuals through specialist advice, support and treatment to optimise your health and wellbeing at home and to prevent you from being admitted to hospital unnecessarily.
The MS Nurse Specialist Service includes:
• Assessment and care planning to develop and agree individual goals
• Post hospital discharge review and assessment
• Optimisation of and medication review and advice
• Support, management and advice of deterioration in condition
• Education and advice to support people with treatment and self-management strategies at home
• End of life care in partnership with local palliative care and District Nurse teams
The service is available for adults aged over 18 who are registered with a G&W GP. This would be following a referral from your GP, hospital specialist consultant or other health / social care professional where there is a confirmed clinical diagnosis of MS and where you would benefit from nursing assessment, care planning and treatment at home or in a local community clinic. Following your initial assessment at home or in a local community clinic, you and your carer are able to contact the community heart failure specialist nurse team directly.
The service operates Monday to Friday 09:00 to17:00, excluding Bank Holidays.