Heart Failure Specialist Nurse Service
The Heart Failure Specialist Nurse team are a part of the wider community nursing service in Guildford and Waverley who work with patients, carers, GP’s, practice nurses, other specialist nurses, and consultants to reduce mortality and improve the quality of life for patients with chronic heart failure. The service aims to optimise health and wellbeing for individuals through specialist advice, support and treatment to optimise your health and wellbeing at home and to prevent you from being admitted to hospital unnecessarily.
The Heart Failure Nurse Specialist Service includes:
• Assessment and care planning to develop and agree individual goals
• Post hospital discharge review and assessment
• Optimisation of anti-heart failure medications
• Management of decompensation episodes
• Education and advice to support people with treatment and self-management strategies at home
• End of life care in partnership with local palliative care and District Nurse teams
The service is available for adults aged over 18 who are registered with a G&W GP. This would be following a referral from your GP or hospital specialist consultant where there is a confirmed clinical diagnosis of heart failure and where you would benefit from nursing assessment, care planning and treatment at home or in a local community clinic. Following your initial assessment at home or in a local community clinic, you and your carer are able to contact the community heart failure specialist nurse team directly.
The service operates Monday to Friday 09:00 to17:00, excluding Bank Holidays.