Diabetes Specialist Nurse Service
The Community Diabetes Specialist Nurses are part of the wider community nursing service in Guildford and Waverley who work with patients, carers, GP’s, practice nurses, other specialist nurses and consultants to improve the quality of life for people with diabetes. The service aims to optimise health and wellbeing for individuals through specialist advice, support and treatment, to maintain dignity and to support people in their own home setting.
The Community Diabetes Specialist Nurse Service includes:
• Assessment and care planning to develop and agree individual goals
• Optimisation of and medication review and advice
• Education and advice to support people with treatment and self-management strategies at home or with the support of district nursing teams
• Insulin or GLP-1 initiation if not available in primary care practice
• Recurrent hypoglycaemia episodes
The service is available for adults aged over 18 who are registered with a G&W GP. This would be following a referral from your GP, hospital specialist consultant or other health / social care professional where you would benefit from a specialist nurse review for your diabetes at home or in a local community clinic. Following your initial assessment at home or in a local community clinic, you and your carer are able to contact the community diabetes specialist nurses directly.
The service operates Monday to Friday 08:00 to 17:00, excluding Bank Holidays and weekends.