Nutrition and Dietetics
The department of Nutrition and Dietetics at the Royal Surrey County Hospital (RSCH) has 29 Registered Dietitians, 3 Dietetic Assistants and 2 administration staff.
What is a Registered Dietitian?
Dietitians are qualified health professionals that assess, diagnose and treat dietary and nutritional problems at an individual and wider public-health level. They work with both healthy and sick people.
Dietitians use public health and scientific research on food, health and disease which they translate into practical guidance to enable people to make appropriate lifestyle and food choices.
Dietitians are the only nutrition professionals to be regulated by law, and are governed by an ethical code to ensure that they always work to the highest standard.
We have Specialist Dietitians working in the following areas:
- Intensive care and the nutrition support team
- General oncology and haematology-oncology (including young adults)
- Head and neck cancer
- Oesophago-gastric cancer
- Gastroenterology and allergy
- Hepato-pancreatico-biliary surgery
- Stroke and lipid management
What services do the Dietitians provide?
- Nutrition support for patients admitted to all of the wards at the Royal Surrey County Hospital, Haslemere District Hospital, Milford Hospital and Milford Diagnostic and Rehab Centre
- Out-patient service for direct GP referrals, consultant and private patient referrals for adults and children.
- Specialist dietetic clinics for patients attending St Luke’s Cancer Centre for cancer treatment.
- We are part of the Macmillan Aftercare and Rehabilitation Services for head and neck cancer patients across the region.
- Support the management of patients with pancreatitis across Surrey, North Hampshire, and West Sussex.
- A prehabilitation programme for patients due to undergo major surgery.
- Specialist dietetic support to patients attending The Guildford Nuffield Hospital and BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital.
- Community diabetes clinics held at local GP surgeries within the Guildford and Waverley Clinical Commissioning Group.
- Structured education sessions for patients newly diagnosed with Diabetes.
- Placement provider and student trainers for nutrition and dietetic students from the University of Surrey and are involved in the undergraduate recruitment process.
- Teach on nursing, nutritional medicine, dietetics and palliative care courses at the University of Surrey.
- Actively involved with education sessions for staff and other healthcare professionals.
- Liaise with Medirest (RSCH catering) to advise on special diets for hospital inpatients.
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
Royal Surrey County Hospital
Surrey GU2 7XX
Telephone: 01483 571122 Extension 4202
Direct line: 01483 464119
Our office hours are 8.30am – 4.30pm
There is an answerphone.
Head of Dietetics: Tanya Klopper
Office Manager: Julie Holding
- The Association of UK Dietitans: https://www.bda.uk.com/
- The Health and Care Professions Council: http://www.hcpc-uk.co.uk/
- Trust a Dietitian: http://www.trustadietitian.co.uk/
- NHS Choices Live Well: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/Pages/Livewellhub.aspx
- Diabetes UK: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/
- Coeliac UK: https://www.coeliac.org.uk/home/
- Macmillan Cancer Support: http://www.macmillan.org.uk/