Welcome to the Haematology Department
We are an enthusiastic team with the aim to provide a high level haematology service in a caring and friendly environment.
We aim to deliver first-class care for all our in-patient and out-patients with access to novel, effective and appropriate treatments.
There are three haematology consultants in the team, working together with a team of junior doctors, a clinical nurse specialist, nurses, a designated dietician and pharmacy support.
About the department
The Haematology Department covers a wide variety of clinical and laboratory aspects :
- We diagnose & manage both patients with malignant and general haematology problems
- A diagnostic service for disorders of the blood, bone marrow, lymph-gland and clotting system
- Management , advice and care for people with blood and related disorders
- Consultative Haematology: clinical advice to other health care professionals
- Training of junior doctors and other health care professionals, both within the trust and the wider local network
- Participation in clinical research trials
- Laboratory: Haematology, Clinical Chemistry and Immunology comprise the Blood Sciences operational group of Partnership Pathology Services (PPS). The other departments within PPS include Microbiology and Virology, Histopathology, Cytopathology and Molecular Biology.
The clinical aspects of the haematology service are managed by the Oncology and Surgery Business Unit and delivered with the support of the St Luke’s Cancer Centre nursing and pharmacy staff.
- Haemato-oncology: treatment of blood and bone marrow cancers, such as lymphoma, leukaemia and multiple myeloma
* The treatments used at our centre are at the forefront of modern healthcare. As with all of our services, treatments depend on individual cases and the stage of cancer. This will be discussed in great detail with every patient by one of our team once a diagnosis has been made.
* We provide level 2b haematology treatment which includes treatment for Acute Myeloid Leukaemia and Salvage high-grade lymphoma treatment
* We have a growing portfolio of clinical trials currently open
- General Haematology: management of benign blood disorders
- Haemostasis and thrombosis: disorders of the blood clotting system
- Anticoagulation: management of patients requiring thinning of their blood
- Provision of blood products for transfusion
- Our main practical procedures are: administration of chemotherapy, bone marrow aspiration and biopsy, venesection and intrathecal chemotherapy.
All these services are delivered through a range of activities including outpatient clinics, day case care, inpatient care (haematology level 2b), multidisciplinary team meetings and consultative advice to hospital and primary care colleagues. A full clinical and laboratory on call service is also provided.
Meet the team
To meet our team, please click here.