Physical Preparation for Childbirth Classes
The Women’s Health specialist Physiotherapy Team at the Royal Surrey offer 3 childbirth preparation classes*, focusing on managing the physical aspects of pregnancy and childbirth in a relaxed & friendly environment.
Class 1- Understanding body changes & minimising any discomfort during your pregnancy
(Ideally in early pregnancy approx 12-20 weeks but welcome at any stage)
- Posture & positioning
- Back care & lifting advice
- Explanation of the pelvic floor & core stability
- Discussion on common symptoms during pregnancy
Class 2: Approx 32 weeks onwards, partners are welcome
- Practical demonstration of different positions in labour
- Breathing awareness/ distraction / relaxation techniques
- Massage in labour techniques
- Use of T.E.N.S (for pain relief) .This can be hired from the hospital.
Class 3: Approx 32 weeks onwards, partners are welcome
- Positions for the second stage of labour
- Breathing awareness / effective pushing during delivery
- Helpful hints on coping with instrumental deliveries & Caesarean section
- Postnatal advice on exercises & activities
*Please note that all classes are free and last for approximately 2 hours, including a short break.
To book onto one of our classes, please click here to download a booking form. For more details and information please call the Physiotherapy Department on: 01483 464153.
For a full list of dates for our upcoming antenatal classes for 2015 please download the link.
For 2016 dates, please click here