1) Please advise the estimated number of patients receiving chemotherapy and radiotherapy at your hospital(s) each year. Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust see approximately 50,000 attendances for Radiotherapy and around 44,000 attendances for Chemotherapy (attendances, not patients – 1 patient attends multiple times).
2) What is the preferred ‘barrier’ mouthwash product prescribed to patients for oral mucositis treatment and/or prevention? This information is available via the following link: http://stlukescanceralliance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Mucositis-Policy-V4-6.16.pdf
3) Which of the following ‘barrier’ mouthwash brands, if any, have previously been prescribed in your hospital(s):
– Caphosol – Yes (not ordered since 2014)
– Gelclair – Yes
– Mucodis – No
4) What is the estimated annual spend on mouthwash?
Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust cannot answer this question as the information is commercially sensitive.
5) What is the estimated annual number of units of mouthwash prescribed annually? 6709 packs of medication issued in 2016.
6) How much Saline and Difflam mouthwash are prescribed for OM?
Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust does not record centrally the indication for treatment. Obtaining this information would require the scrutiny of individual healthcare records which would take above and beyond the time frame specified under Section 12 of the Freedom of Information Act.
7) What are your current prescribing pathways for oral mucositis care?
8) Do you currently prescribe anything for the prevention and/or treatment of the following conditions:
– Vaginal mucositis (Vulvovaginitis)
– Rectal mucositis
– Radiation dermatitis
This information is available via the following link: http://stlukesalliance.royalsurrey.nhs.uk/informtion-for-professionals/aos-service/