FOI 4176 Voluntary Services
- When was your voluntary services’ department established? September 1992
- What were the arrangements for the recruitment, management, and retention of your volunteers before the department was established? Voluntary Services was set up as a new department within the Royal Surrey County Hospital in 1992.
- How many paid staff are employed in the department and how long have they been in post? One full time Manager, in post 25 years and one part time Co-ordinator 5 years.
- Are these staff affiliated to any nationally accredited professional bodies (please advise which bodies)? National Association of Voluntary Services Managers.
- Number of hospital volunteers in 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010, plus the current number of volunteers? 1980 and 1990 – no records exist . 2000, 2010 and to date the number of volunteers is stable at around 400 plus 130 student volunteers (student volunteers join the ward teams one evening a week for a period of six months).
- Please give examples of jobs or areas covered by the hospital volunteers. Patient contact and non-patient contact role: meet and greet volunteers, ward volunteers, activities team, admin team, trolley team, clinic team, chaplaincy, outpatient team, therapists, counsellors, gardeners, fundraisers, student volunteer team.
- Does the hospital have volunteers from external organisations or charities e.g. Toc-H, League of Friends, Chaplaincy volunteers, hospital radio, RVS and what arrangements are made for these volunteers? No
- Do you reimburse volunteers for travelling expenses, car parking or beverages whilst volunteering? Complementary parking permit, travelling expenses reimbursement, lunch voucher for volunteers working a day.