The Trust scored 8.8 out of 10 for the overall experience of cancer care, which was above the national average.
Royal Surrey, through St Luke’s Cancer Centre, currently provides cancer treatment to a population of 1.3 million people across Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire.
In total 71,000 people with cancer across the country were surveyed as part of the National Cancer Patient Experience Survey 2015.
Respondents were quizzed about their involvement in decisions about their care and treatment and whether they were treated with dignity and respect.
At Royal Surrey the survey found:
- 81 per cent of respondents said that they were definitely involved as much as they wanted to be in decisions about their care and treatment
- 90 per cent of those surveyed said they were given the name of a Clinical Nurse Specialist who would support them through their treatment
- When asked how easy or difficult it had been to contact their Clinical Nurse Specialist 86 per cent of respondents said that it had been ‘quite easy’ or ‘very easy’
- 88 per cent of respondents said that, overall, they were always treated with dignity and respect while they were in hospital
- 96 per cent of respondents said that the hospital staff told them who to contact if they were worried about their condition or treatment after they left hospital
The survey also highlights where improvements to the patient experience can be made, with some respondents saying they would like more information on the financial help and support groups available.
Chief Operating Officer and Director of Nursing, Louise Stead, said: “With the number of cancer patients receiving treatment at Royal Surrey at an all-time high and rising, this positive feedback is a testament to the hard work and dedication of the team in St Luke’s Cancer Centre.
“In the coming days and weeks we will be scrutinising the results to see where improvements to our services can be made.
“As a Trust we are determined to ensure that all our patients receive a high quality of care and service.
“We are really proud of our teams who continually strive to deliver the best care and achieve the best possible outcomes for all of our patients.”