Tissue Viability Specialist Nurse Service
The Tissue Viability Specialist Nurse team are a part of the wider community nursing service in Guildford and Waverley who work with patients, carers, GP’s, practice nurses, care homes (nursing and residential), other specialist nurses and consultants to prevent skin breakdown and to treat and manage complex wounds for improved quality of life. The service provides specialist advice, support and treatment to people, carers and other health / social care colleagues to optimise the health and wellbeing of patients at home through promoting care of skin.
The Tissue Viability Nurse Specialist Service includes:
• Assessment and care planning to develop and agree individual goals
• Post hospital discharge review and assessment
• Optimisation of dressings and treatment for complex wounds
• Prevention and management of pressure ulcers (bed sores)
• Education and advice to support people with treatment and self-management strategies at home
• Maintaining skin integrity for end of life care in partnership with local palliative care and District Nurse teams
• Advance would care assessment, diagnosis, care planning and treatment
The service is available for adults aged over 18 who are registered with a G&W GP. This would be following a referral from your GP, The Local District Nurse Team, Care Home, hospital or other health / social care professionals. Referrals are made for specialist nursing assessment, care planning and treatment of a complex, non-healing or deteriorating wound care and management in the individuals home setting.
The service operates Monday to Friday 09:00 to17:00, excluding Bank Holidays.