Relating to the Trust’s current patient transport service:
- How is this assessed? e.g. by phone, in person; in consultation with a doctor or other medical professional? For OPD appointments patients book transport with the GP using the booking line. In-patient transport is booked by the relevant nurse or administration under clinician instruction. This is done on-line or via the booking lines for the suppliers.
- Online booking system for RSCH staff
- By phone for patients (dedicated phone number).
- What is the appeals process for those not deemed eligible for patient transport?
The Patient Transport Services (PTS) is available to patients whose medical condition is such that they require the skills and support of PTS staff on/after their journey to hospital, or where it would be detrimental to the patient’s condition or recovery to travel by other means. Eligibility criteria are applied via the booking lines or on-line booking.
If patients are not eligible for NHS funded transport, they will be given assistance to seek alternative local transport options or advice on reimbursement. Appeals are directed to the relevant CCG.
- Who currently provides your contract to supply your non-emergency patient transport services? The following Clinical Commissioning Groups are responsible for contracting patient transport services for the Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust:
Guildford & Waverley
NE Hampshire & Farnham
SECAmb (South East Coast Ambulance)
NE Hampshire & Farnham
SCAS (South Central Ambulance Service)
Surrey Downs (Leatherhead)
Sussex* With effect from 1st April 2016 – prior to this date the contract was with SECAmb
- When was the award made for the current supply of Patient Transport and when does it run until?
- What is the annual value of the contract?
- What is the annual number of journeys per month outsourced by your patient transport provider?
- Who is the person(s) responsible for patient transport at the Trust?
- Please can you provide a breakdown of the number and mileage of non-emergency Patient Transport journeys carried out for each month from March 2015 to March 2016?
KPI and performance monitoring
Please redirect the questions below relating to KPI and performance monitoring to the CCGs in question.
- What KPI or performance measures are currently in place for your service? Could I please have a list of all measures, targets and penalties for underperformance?
- Please state what other standards (e.g. punctuality, cleanliness, reporting) are written
into the contract specification.
- Is there a patients’ user group involved in the overseeing of the patient transport contract? If not, do you have any mechanisms through which patient transport users are involved in the governance of patient transport?
- What is your Patient transport policy?
Complaints, Cancellations & Delays
Please redirect the questions below relating to complaints, cancellations & delays to the CCGs in question.
- How many complaints (e.g. driver behaviour, lateness, etc.) did you get relating to patient transport from March 2015 to March 2016?
- How many hospital appointments have been missed due to patient transport lateness from March 2015 to March 2016?
- How many times from March 2015 to March 2016 was there a discharge delay due to patient transport issues?